Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Something about LCS-1 vs. LCS-2

You know, something I have been thinking about. What do LCS-1, LCS-2, and HSF and other fast ferries have in common? It is the waterjets. The waterjets are what are revolutionary.

When I watch the video of LCS-1 at full speed with the waterjets flowing and that aerodynamic steel hull cutting through the water, man that's impressive. And it is moving fast, with a solid steel hull, faster than I have seen Alakai move. So I ask myself, "Why is LCS-2 being built with a weaker aluminium hull?"

LCS-1 and LCS-2 will probably move at about the same speed, LCS-1 may burn more fuel with a heavier hull, but it will be solid, built to high quality standards, and able to handle the rigors of military service year in and year out, something that has not been shown to be the case with large aluminium hulls constructed in the U.S.

I don't know why, but for some reason someone thought it would be a 'nifty' idea to go beyond the shallow draft, diesel engines and waterjets and unnecessarily design military ships with unproven large aluminium hulls. The large aluminium hulls can be useful for commercial purposes, but are unproven and inadequate for military purposes. I will be surprised if DoD does not see the same way on this, at least for LCS, if not also JHSV. JHSV they can make a mistake on, LCS are too expensive to do wrong. The shallow draft and waterjets are the key, not the aluminium hull.

Aloha, Brad

3 comments:

Homeport Models Blog said...

Does anyone have the plans for the LCS1? I am looking for the hull lines to make one.

Sputnikk

Mauibrad said...

You mean like for a model? I haven't looked for what you are asking for. But I have seen this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvhvndjTmzo

Aloha, Brad

Homeport Models Blog said...

I am looking for hull lines. The video is good, and the hull that is in the video is great, but I dont know where to get that. Or even get more info on the hull.

Thanks for the video. You can see what I am trying to do at www.homeportmodels.com

Sputnikk