Tuesday, February 26, 2008

HI Superferry: HSF and Strykers to Washington state?

Interesting articles in the current issue of Workboat at workboat.com:

WorkBoat Cover Story - February 2008
U.S. Army Chief of Engineers Launches BlogU.S. Newswire Feb 14, 12:38 PM EST
Second Car Ferry to Be Added to Bremerton Run Next WeekThe Seattle Times Feb 14, 04:39 PM EST
Bremerton Ferry Riders Fed UpThe Seattle Times Feb 13, 10:23 AM EST

I am thinking more and more that HSF should be redeployed commercially in the Seattle-Bremerton area where it has a chance to make money and that the returning Stryker Brigades should also be permanently placed there at Ft. Lewis, WA, instead of Hawaii. There are legitimate geographic route and proximity arguments relative to China in favor of that. Almost everybody can get what they want with this idea. Here is a Google satellite image of the Seattle-Bremerton area: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=seattle+and+bremerton,+wa&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl
Here is a Google satellite image of the Ft. Lewis, WA area just south of Seattle: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=ft+lewis,+wa&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl
Zoom in and take a look at the ferry facilities at Seattle and near Ft. Lewis. They are perfect for this vessel.

I have a lot of new things to put up, including some good multimedia stuff, just doing this now because it is quick and easy.

Aloha, Brad

1 comment:

Mauibrad said...

Wish I had a chip to call in...

Was watching C-SPAN recently and saw that Pete Geren is the Secretary of the Army. I don't follow national politics that closely anymore. It has been a long time since I have thought about Pete Geren.

Back in the Summer of 1989, Pete Geren was in a close Special Election as a Democrat to replace deposed Speaker of the House Jim Wright from Ft. Worth. On the decisive weekend before the Special Election I went up to Ft. Worth with 2 other volunteers from Austin to phonebank from Pete Geren's law offices and later in the day distribute literature door-to-door in decisive precincts. We were a small group of volunteers allowed into what I still remember was a very nice law office. Mr. Geren made it into the Runoff Special Election and ended up winning that and going on to serve a number of terms in Congress. See: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/
fullpage.html?res=
950DE7D6103DF937A2575BC0A...
I did not go up again to volunteer for the Runoff election because I could tell he was going to win and did not need the extra volunteers. So, it was a one day intense effort.

I haven't thought much about Pete Geren since then. But, seeing now that he is Secretary of the Army, I did a search and see that he began to be appointed to DoD offices by Bush beginning in 2005. http://en.wikipedia.org/
wiki/Pete_Geren

Wish I had a chip to call in, but I don't. If I could say something to Mr. Geren on this I would say: Mr. Geren, the Stryker Brigades should not be permanently stationed in Hawaii, leave them in Washington state, it is actually the better place for them for the country. And I might also add: Mr. Geren, tell your friend John Lehman that HSF is unrealistic in Hawaii, and that he should move his vessels to Washington state where they will be useful and utilized.

My slogan for choosing where to get involved and have the most effect:

"Yee shall seek the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Aloha, Brad